Smart Meter Upgrade
Meter by Meter, we're connecting Ireland to a clean electric future
As part of the National Climate Action Plan, ESB Networks is upgrading all electricity meters in homes, farms, and businesses across the country with smart meters. We have now installed over 800,000 smart meters nationwide. The roll out is being progressed on an area-by-area basis and customers will get plenty of notice when we are coming to your area.
View our map below with plans for the smart meter rollout.
ESB Networks Smart Meter Rollout Plan
- Over 800,000 smart meters installed across the country. Smart meters are used for all new domestic connections, fault repairs and meter replacements.
- We plan to begin the rollout to new areas of Dublin and counties Mayo, Tipperary and Westmeath in the coming months. We'll be in contact with you before your meter is replaced.
- You can register with ESB Networks or your electricity supplier for a prioritised smart meter installation.
Benefits of a Smart Meter
Smart Meters are the next generation of digital electricity meters that will benefit customers, the environment and the economy.
About Smart Meters
The Smart Metering Programme forms a key part of Ireland's journey towards a low-carbon future. When complete, all electricity meters will have been upgraded to smart meters by the end of 2024.
- As part of the National Climate Action Plan, ESB Networks is upgrading all existing electricity meters across Ireland with smart meters.
- To ensure the safety of our customers, staff and contractors we have implemented additional measures in accordance with Government COVID-19 guidelines.
- The meter exchange requires a power outage of up to 45 minutes, we'll work with you to arrange a suitable time to exchange the meter.