Flexibility Network Solutions
- To meet our evolving customer needs, we are developing smarter, more flexible network solutions to help reduce the need for traditional reinforcement and reduce costs for our customers.
- We recognise that customers connected to our network could provide services to assist in key areas that have specific challenges during periods of network congestion.
- We are exploring flexibility markets for our customers who are able and willing to take control of how much electricity they generate or consume.
Flexibility pilot objectives
- Develop an understanding of customers’ needs, barriers, and motivations to participate in the flexibility services.
- Implement effective processes for managing a range of different services solutions operating together, to enable “stacking” of services.
- Launch and test new processes for coordinating transmission and distribution operations, including operational protocols and data exchange.
- Develop and test a preliminary market management system.
Pilot of Scale
In 2023, we are seeking to go live with a pilot of scale. This would involve procurement of, and contracting for, a range of flexibility services from all kinds of customers, across an area of the network fed from a single bulk supply point (BSP).
The first tender under the Pilot of Scale is the Mullingar BSP and this covers Mullingar and the surrounding area.
How to get involved?
This tender will initially be for Flexibility services commencing delivery in Q4 2023. We will be publishing a map of our flexibility needs in the coming weeks. Tender details can be found on www.etenders.gov.ie with reference number D20/CON/916.