All you need to know about ESB Networks response to Covid-19
We understand this continues to be an incredibly challenging time for many of our customers, employees and stakeholders. We want to reassure you that we are working to ensure the electricity network remains secure and reliable during these uncertain and unprecedented times. ESB Networks activities are deemed essential and we will continue to work during the Pandemic, ensuring staff, contractor and general public safety whilst maintaining security of electricity supply. Our approach is as follows:
- In-keeping with the spirit of Government advice which is asking "each individual, workplace and organisation to play their part in curtailing the spread of the virus".
- Where it is absolutely necessary for us to carry out works in our customers’ premises, we will only do so with agreement from the customers involved in advance and all works will be in line with Covid-19 procedures.
- We will continuously monitor delivery capability which may require certain activities to be prioritised and there may be some impact to our timelines.
In line with recent Government Guidelines:
- Activities that must take place inside customer premises will only continue with customer agreement when required. This includes indoor Meter Reading.
Our work is critical to ensuring our network remains reliable, secure and safe, this unfortunately means that our customers may be affected by power outages, however, we will continue to endeavour to minimise this impact on our customers.
- Additional steps will be adapted on a case by case basis for work requiring large scale customer outages taking into account the extent, scale and impact on our customers.
- Outages may also be caused by bad weather and falling trees. ESB Networks will work to repair damage and minimise these outages as quickly and safely as possible.
- ESB Networks is undertaking additional measures for our ongoing customer services. Some of these changes include staff working from home and as a result we are asking our customers to use our online services where possible.
To see all of our Commitments please read more HERE.
For all frequently asked questions see below:
How is ESB Networks ensuring a reliable power supply and keeping me connected during the Covid-19 Pandemic?
ESB Networks is committed to carrying out all work necessary to maintain the flow of electricity from power stations and wind farms right through to homes, farms and businesses throughout Ireland. There may be circumstances where occasionally we will need to switch off power supplies to customers to upgrade the network, repair faults and address safety hazards.
We know that this can be disruptive especially in the current circumstances, so, in scheduling and carrying out this work, ESB Networks will seek to limit the number of our customers who are impacted and the duration of outages that will affect them. We will also work to plan our work in a way that prioritises the needs of essential service providers, including those in the healthcare, water, gas, telecommunications and food sectors.
Are planned outages still going ahead during the Covid-19 outbreak?
We’ve taken steps to review our work programmes to minimise the impact of any planned outages and disruption in our customers’ homes and businesses. However, it is essential that our work proceeds in order to maintain and protect the resilience of the network and to address faults or any safety related issues as they arise.
What do I do if I am affected by a power outage while staying at home during Covid-19?
Our services remain the same, if you have a power outage, you can check for an estimated restoration time HERE and if you need to report a power outage you can do so HERE.
How is ESB Networks ensuring staff safety during the Covid-19 outbreak?
ESB Networks staff who are involved in activities to maintain electricity supply, protect public safety, and keep critical systems going will attend work safely outside their homes. Our staff will continue to provide essential maintenance services and respond to all network faults and public safety concerns.
Will ESB Networks continue to install smart meters during Covid-19?
As of Monday 12th of April 2021, the National Smart Metering Programme has recommenced in line with Government Guidelines and ESB Networks is now continuing to upgrade electricity meters with smart meters installations.
In response to Covid-19, we have also implemented additional safety measures to ensure the safety of our customers, staff and contractors during the meter replacement.
These measures include:
- All technicians will wear personal protective equipment while carrying out the work.
- A work exclusion zone will be set up around the meter, where possible.
- All technicians will sanitise their hands and equipment before and after the meter exchange.
On completion, your meter cabinet will be sanitised, and the installer will inform you that the meter has been exchanged and your electricity supply has been restored.
We will continue to install smart meters indoors and outdoors, but will only proceed with indoor exchanges with customer agreement. We will contact you by letter in advance of your meter exchange with details of how to arrange an appointment.
We are conscious that customers may be self-isolating or working from home and we will work with customers to arrange a suitable time to exchange the meter.
Further information on the Smart Metering Programme can be found HERE.
What is ESB Networks approach to meter readings during the Covid-19 pandemic?
ESB Networks will continue to read meters located outdoors and as of Monday 12th of April 2021 has recommenced indoor meter readings but indoor readings will only take place with customer agreement.
ESB Networks has controls and protocols in place to minimise the risk to both our staff and our customers.
Customers can submit meter reads to their Electricity Supplier directly or to ESB Networks as follows:
- Phone 1800 337 777 OR (021) 2386444
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- online: https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connection/meters-readings/submit-a-meter-reading
- Text: send your reading to 087 960 9223 in the following format: MPRN (space) reading
How do I apply for a New Connection online during Covid-19?
You can apply for and track your New Connection HERE.
We will continue to connect Customers to the Network in line with Government Guidelines. We are working within the restrictions and additional risk assessments that are required to help keep our customers and staff safe so this may cause some delays to our services.
What happens if an ESB Networks Technician needs to come into my home to carry out essential work while I am social distancing?
Where we do need to enter a private home, we will only do so with your permission and will implement a best practice hygiene protocol in line with Covid-19 procedures. We are asking our customers to maintain 2m distance from our staff should they need to enter your premises.
What steps is ESB Networks doing to minimise the impact of essential power outages while customers are isolating from Covid-19?
We are working to minimise the impact of these outages and are particularly mindful of vulnerable customers in this regard. We will do this by:
- Carrying out works that are required to remove public safety hazards, connect customers and carry out maintenance
- Reducing the duration of electricity outages and reducing the number of customers that are disconnected for works
- Implementing a new way of planning outages to reduce the impact on critical customers and stakeholders such as doctors and pharmacies.
What is the best way to contact ESB Networks during Covid-19?
Our National Customer Contact Centre remains open and operating as normal during this period. We are implementing new work practices to keep our staff safe during this time.
If possible, to help us, we would like you to use the various digital platforms as the first point of contact for routine services and general enquiries. Contact details are available HERE.
You can also contact us on Twitter @esbnetworks and Facebook @ESBNetworks.
Can I still call ESB Networks during Covid-19?
You can still call ESB Networks but where possible we would advise you to avail of our website & digital channels where possible.
For general enquires: phone 1800 372 757 (021 2386555) or email email@example.com
(open 8.30am to 6 pm Monday to Friday and 8.30am to 1.30pm on Saturday excluding public holidays).
For emergencies or loss of supply we are open 24 hours on 1800 372 999 OR 021 2382410.
How do I submit a meter reading during Covid-19?
To send in a meter reading: Phone 1800 337 777 with your MPRN and Reading or alternatively click Here
You can also email: firstname.lastname@example.org or text your Reading to 087 960 9223 in the format: MPRN (space), Reading.
I am worried about paying my electricity bill, what do I do?
ESB Networks is not an electricity supplier so cannot help with billing or financial queries. However, we do advise you to contact your electricity supplier as soon as possible with your concerns. All electricity supplier contact details are available HERE.
What is ESB Networks doing for the foreseeable future in relation to Covid-19?
While we do not know what the coming months will bring, we will continue to provide secure and safe electricity to the people of Ireland no matter what happens.
We will stay connected to the families, communities and businesses all over the country and will support the fight against Covid-19.