Connecting an Additional Meter
Getting an additional meter connected
Where an existing single dwelling is to be divided for the purpose of accommodating a family member and an independent meter is required for that family member, you may be eligible to apply for a family apartment connection.
The conditions for a family apartment are explained below.
If you are applying for a family apartment please follow the steps on this page.
What is a Family Apartment?
A family apartment (previously referred to as a granny flat) is a self-contained unit built adjoining an existing house. It is used for additional accommodation for a family member, usually an elderly person. A family apartment may be a newly constructed extension or a conversion of an existing structure such as a garage.
Family Apartment Conditions
There are certain conditions that must be met to qualify for a family apartment connection:
- As a sub-division of a main dwelling, the meter for a family apartment must be connected to the same incoming ESB Networks service cable as the main dwelling. The family apartment meter must therefore be located immediately adjacent to the meter for the main dwelling. Prior to the customer carrying out any works, the suitability of the service and proposed position of the meter must first be agreed with ESB Networks.
- Only one family apartment connection is allowed per dwelling at ground floor level.
- The apartment must be for family use only, not for sub-letting.
- Proof of planning permission for the family apartment from the relevant Local Authority may be requested. Where planning permission is not required, ESB Networks may require evidence of family use.
- The main dwelling and family apartment should be internally connected through an interconnecting door.
- The existing service must be adequate to cater for the main dwelling load as well as the proposed family apartment.
Where any of the criteria above are not met, the new connection may be dealt with as a standard 12 kVA house or apartment development.
Step by Step Guide
We Are ESB Networks. - 2
Networks has a strong history of innovation, as a result we have
developed one of the most progressive electricity networks in the world.