Moving Domestic Premises

If you are moving in or moving out of your home, you need to inform your supplier of your MPRN to ensure a seamless connection and billing process. 

Follow these steps when moving in 

If you are moving into a new home, here are the steps you need to take: 

You will need to provide your respective supplier with your MPRN number. This is available from the previous occupant, landlord or estate agent.  

You will also need to take a meter reading.

Follow these steps when moving out 

If you are moving out of a house, here are the steps you need to take: 

Contact your electricity supplier and advise them that you are moving out of your domestic premises.
Give the Supplier the final reading on your electricity meter.
Your supplier will send you the final bill.

Connection Agreement

If you have received a Connection Agreement from ESB Networks and your details are incorrect, please contact your Electricity Supplier who will send the amendments to ESB Networks.